We're hiring a software engineer. If you're interested in using your skills to develop learning technologies that improve educational equity and access, join us.
The NROC Project is a nonprofit, mission-driven organization focused on new models of digital content development, distribution, and use. The NROC Project offers high-quality digital media resources and tools to support college and career readiness. Sustained by institutional (academic) members, NROC is fueled by the belief that everyone is entitled to an education, regardless of their financial or social circumstances.
We are seeking an experienced software engineer to develop and maintain NROC software tools, platforms, and courseware.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop software solutions by studying requirements; conferring with colleagues; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; following the software development lifecycle.
- Document work product by developing project documentation, code comments, and clear code.
- Provide project management, code review, code acceptance testing, and debugging/troubleshooting service to NROC contractors as required.
- Update job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools and programming techniques, participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications and websites, and participating in professional organizations.
- Protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Review and repair legacy code.
- Provide support engineering services to NROC Technical Support Staff and NROC members as needed. This includes troubleshooting support issues in a timely manner, recommending solutions, and implementing the solutions where appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with version control systems (git) and the software development lifecycle
- Strong communications skills, especially in a virtual environment.
- Experience with AWS, Groovy, Node.js, Docker, Hibernate/ORM, Spring and/or Java EE, MySQL and/or Postgres
- Spanish language speaker a plus
- Proximity to Wichita, KS a plus
Compensation and Benefits
The NROC Software Engineer is a full-time, exempt employee, working from a remote home office and reporting to the Principal Software Engineer. Compensation is $72,000-85,000 based on experience. Benefits are available. Some travel may be required.
NROC does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. Employment with The NROC Project is for no set term; either you or NROC may terminate this relationship at-will, meaning either you or the company may terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without notice, and with or without cause, for any reason.
Please forward inquiries with a resume and a cover letter to jobs@NROC.org.